knockconny baptist church

Although early records are sparce there is evidence that the Baptist congregation of Knockonny dates from c1807.   The church or Baptist Meeting House is shown on the Griffiths Valuation map 1861 and the local church has a copy of a letter from the residing minister Rev Andrew Lockhart to his daughter in America dated 20 May 1842.


Location Map

St Patricks Roman Catholic Church, Aghnagar

was built in 1862.  It was built with the direct involvement of local people due to the difficulty in travelling the 2-3 miles to the church at Aghaginduff.   The landlord of the site on which the church was built was Rev James Kennedy Bailie, Rector of St Andrews (Church of Ireland) Ardtrea who gave the project his support.


Location Map


Ballyreagh Presbyterian Church was built c1840 although a Secession mission was begun here in 1834 by Mr. Matthew Clarke, a probationer.  It was also stated that Col. Verner had marked out a site for a meeting house and had promised a subscription. His agent Mr. Crossle had made a similar promise and also stated that he would lend one hundred pounds.


Location Map


St Pauls Church of Ireland, Killeeshil is built on a

site believed to have been in use from possibly the
9th Century.   The present church has elements belonging to work in the 1730s however major renovations where carried out throughout the 19th century.   The adjoining churchyard contains multi-denominational burials from the mid 1700s.


Location Map


St Josephs Roman Catholic Church, Aghaginduff was built between 1861 and 1862.  After examining other sites in the area agreeent was reached with the Gough estate to build at Aghaginduff.   The belfry tower was added around 1905 and today the chuch is one of the principal places of worship in the area.


Location Map

 AltarGlen Killeeshil

 From the Flight of the Earls in 1607 the introduction of Penal Laws forbidding Roman Catholic worship led to the conducting of Masses etc in secret.  The Alter Glen in Aghaginduff was probably in use from the 1600s through to 1768 when the first Mass House was built in Tullyallen.   The site is still in use today for services.


Location Map

UAFP Tullyallen Masshouse 550

Tullyallan Mass House was built in Tullyallen in 1768 with the gradual relaxation of some of the Penal Laws and the recognition of the Hanovarian succession to the English throne by Rome.   Today it has been rebuilt in the grounds of the Ulster American Folk Park near Omagh, Co Tyrone.  The buildings layout and scale appears similar to that of Lower Clonaneese presbyterian Church built c1744.


Location Map


 The Church of the Assumption Roman Catholic Church was built in 1952 to replace the earlier Mass House built in 1768 located on the other side of the road from the present church.   The old church was relocated to the Ulster American Folk Park near Omagh and rebuilt to its original plan as per 1768.


Location Map

Killylevin Presbyterian Church

Killylevin Presbyterian Church was built c1834-36 following the ejectment of Rev John Bridge from Castlecaulfield Presbyterian Church.  In 1827 he had  refused to give a character reference for a man called George Richie who was then hanged for the murder of another local man Thomas McCrory from Gorey. It split the congregation and he removed to Killylevin to found a new church. Rev John Bridge died in 1841 and the church closed.


Location Map


Lower Clonaneese Presbyterian Church probably dates from 1744 although an earlier Clabber House constructed of mud may have existed on the same site from the late 1600s.   In recent years a long standing white render to the walls was removed revealing the original stonework and signs of its first layout wth the entrance door in the centre of the south wall.


Location Map


Following the construction of two Mills in nearby Ennish in the 1770s the nearby Lower church was subject to flooding from the Mill Race.  In an effort to deal with the problem Upper Clonaneese Presbyterian Church was built in 1788 on higher ground.  However a significant portion of the Lower congregation preferred to remain at their 'ancient seat'.


Location Map


Aghalow/Aghaloo Church of Ireland is located in the townland of Rousky outside Aughnacloy.  It is believed the church was built some time in the mid to late 1600s to replace the church at Carnteel.  It was used up until the 18th century when it was replaced by St James Church of Ireland in Aughnacloy.  There is an adjoining churchyard with burials up to relatively recent history.


Location Map


Carnteel Church of Ireland was built  after the plantation of 1610 but destroyed during the Irish rebellion of 1641.  The remaining structure is perhaps the oldest church structure in south tyrone.

The adjoining churchyard has burials ranging from the 17th century up until recent history.


Location Map

 Castlecaulfield Presbyterian Church

Castlecaulfield Presbyterian Church was built in 1841 after the congregation moved from their original site at the barn of Castle Caulfeild just down the hill from the current site.   It is generally believed that much of the original 17th century barn at the castle was used in the church's construction.


Location Map


Castlecaulfield Methodist church was built in 1886 replacing a primitive Weslyan Chapel built in 1842 on the same site.   The founder of Methodism, John Wesley had visited Castlecaulfield on a number of occasions in the 1770s and it is thought that the present congregation was founded as a result.


Location Map

St Michaels Church of IrelandCastlecaulfield

St Michaels and All Angels Church of Ireland was built in 1688 to replace the earlier late-medieval church which was located in Donaghmore.   It was famously in the charge of Rev George Walker at the time of the Siege of Derry and he later died at the Battle of the Boyne.


Location Map

Membership / Donations

Enter Amount

<<  <  December 2021  >  >>
 Mo  Tu  We  Th  Fr  Sa  Su 
    1  2  3  4  5
  6  7  8  9101112